By Richard Whatmore,Brian Young
A spouse to highbrow History offers an in-depth survey of the perform of highbrow background as a self-discipline. 40 newly-commissioned chapters show off prime worldwide learn with wide insurance of each element of highbrow background because it is presently practiced.
- Presents an in-depth survey of modern study and perform of highbrow history
- Written in a transparent and obtainable demeanour, designed for a global audience
- Surveys some of the methodologies that experience arisen and the most historiographical debates that hindrance highbrow historians
- Pays specified awareness to modern controversies, offering readers with the most up-tp-date evaluation of the field
- Demonstrates the ways that highbrow historians have contributed to the heritage of technological know-how and medication, literary reports, paintings historical past and the background of political thought
Named Outstanding educational name of 2016 by means of Choice Magazine, a ebook of the yankee Library Association
Read Online or Download A Companion to Intellectual History (Wiley Blackwell Companions to World History) PDF
Similar historical studies books
This full of life and unique guidebook is the 1st to teach scholars new to the topic precisely what Roman social historical past includes, and the way they could research it for themselves. After offering a brief historical past of the improvement and present place of the self-discipline, the writer discusses the categories of facts that may be used, and the complete variety of assets to be had.
This e-book makes a variety of writings by means of the nice medieval historian, Sir Richard Southern, on hand to the broader viewers they deserve. a set of writings via the nice medieval historian, Sir Richard Southern. deals a desirable perception into the ideals and concepts that underpinned Southern’s paintings.
While humans event a hectic occasion, corresponding to conflict or the specter of annihilation, they typically flip to heritage for tales that promise a favorable final result to their agony. in the course of global battle II, the French took convenience within the tale of Joan of Arc and her heroic efforts to rid France of overseas profession.
While discussing huge social traits or reports, we have a tendency to workforce humans into generations. yet what does it suggest to join a new release, and what offers that staff which means and coherence? it really is collective reminiscence, say Amy Corning and Howard Schuman, and in Generations and Collective reminiscence, they draw on a magnificent variety of analysis to teach how generations proportion stories of formative reports, and the way knowing the best way these stories shape and alter will help us comprehend society and heritage.
- Information History in the Modern World: Histories of the Information Age (Themes in Focus)
- Big History and the Future of Humanity
- Rethinking the Native Hawaiian Past (Native Americans: Interdisciplinary Perspectives)
- Playful Memories: The Autofictional Turn in Post-Dictatorship Argentina (Palgrave Macmillan Memory Studies)
- El otro, el mismo (Spanish Edition)
- Responses to Oliver Stone’s Alexander: Film, History, and Cultural Studies (Wisconsin Studies in Classics)
Additional resources for A Companion to Intellectual History (Wiley Blackwell Companions to World History)
A Companion to Intellectual History (Wiley Blackwell Companions to World History) by Richard Whatmore,Brian Young